Sign up for the Spouse & Family Newsletter

Related Spouse Articles

What's Popular on Military Life

Military Life 101

  • job fair
    Military Spouse Employment 101
    While the military will always throw a monkey wrench in any best-laid plans, your career doesn't have to be one of them.
  • (Photo: U.S. Department of Education)
    Military Spouse Education Help 101
    Good news for you: Being a military spouse can actually make some parts of going back to school easier.
  • (Photo: U.S. Navy)
    Military Life 101
    Military life has a lot of nuts and bolts. You know, the little things that make up just an ordinary day.
  • stack of one dollar bills
    Military Spouse and Family Benefits 101
    Don't know exactly how to get your military spouse and family benefits or want to know more about what they are? Read on.
  • Movers at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, load up a truck with household goods. Jose Ramirez/Air Force
    Military Spouse and Family Moves 101
    Whether you're an old pro or new to the military moving game, there's stuff to learn about PCSing. Here's our easy PCS 101 guide.
  • (Photo: U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Sullivan Laramie)
    Military Family Deployment 101
    Preparing for deployment can seem like an uphill battle. But we've been there. Here's what you need to know.
  • Military family
    Military Family Life 101
    Military life is not easy, but we've got your back. From marriage to kids and parenting, we have the resources you need.

Finding Military Retirees and Veterans

On the phone. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Piper/Army
On the phone. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Piper/Army

Each of the branches of the military has separate procedures for contacting active or past service members. In cases of emergency, immediate family members should contact the local chapter of the American Red Cross. The telephone number and address are available from your local telephone directory, directory assistance, or by calling the National Contact Center toll-free at 1-800-FED-INFO, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., eastern time.

Provide as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate, such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

The locator service is free to immediate family members and Federal and State government officials. Other family members, civilian friends, businesses, or any others must pay a non-refundable fee of $3.50 in the form of a check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury.

Locating Army Retirees

To locate an Army retiree:

Army Reserve Personnel Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200

Locating Army Separatees

To locate an Army separatee:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200

Current addresses are not maintained for separatees who are not serving under reserve obligation. In such cases you might want to try a military organization such as the American Legion or VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars).

Locating Navy Retirees or Separatess

To locate a retiree or separatee of the U.S. Navy:

Navy Worldwide Locator
Bureau of Naval Personnel
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, Tennessee 38055-3120

Voice: 901/874-3388 (Recording 24 hours per day, live assistance available - 7:00a.m. - 4:30p.m., central time)

Limited service is available by writing to the address above. Letters will be forwarded, if possible, to the retiree. A locator notice can also be posted in the Navy retiree's newsletter Shift Colors or you may advertise for former shipmates in any of the many veterans' organization magazines.

Locating Air Force Personnel

The Air Force Worldwide Locator can locate active duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists, and guardsmen. Parents, spouses, and government officials may call 210/565-2478. Letters requesting locator service should be mailed to:

550 C Street, West, Suite 50
Randolph AFB, Texas 78150-4752
Voice: 210/565-2660 (Live assistance - Monday - Friday 7:30a.m. - 4:30p.m., central time)

The Air Force will not help in locating separatees or Army Air Corps retirees. You may write to the National Personnel Records Center below or contact one of the various veterans' service organizations to help in locating these persons.

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
Saint Louis, Missouri 63132-1500

Locating Marine Corps Personnel

The Marine Corps is not able to assist in locating former Marines. They suggest you place an ad in Leatherneck Magazine. There is a monthly feature called "Mail Call" that includes locator requests. There is no charge for the service and you may send your request to:

Mail Call Editor
P.O. Box 1775
Quantico, Virginia 22134

Locating Coast Guard Personnel

Send mail to:

Commanding Officer (RAS)
Coast Guard Personnel Support Center

444 S.E. Quincy Street
Topeka, KS 66683-3591
(785) 339-3415, (785) 339-3770 FAX

Related Topics

Family and Spouse Veteran Benefits Military Benefits

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles